Ramadan 2018 Iftar Recipes: Chicken Fatteh
This Ramadan we have teamed up with Better Life to bring you a our favourite iftar recipes from Dalia Dogmoch Soubra’s cookbook, Dalia Food, Love and Life by Dalia’s Kitchen...
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
2 medium chickens (about 2.5lbs each) cut into pieces with bone and skin
6-8 cups of water
1 tbsp cardamom
1 tbsp salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1 large Arabic flat bread
¼ cup toasted pine nuts
¼ cup tossed almonds
¼ cup freshly chopped parsley
For the yoghurt sauce:
6 cups low fat yoghurt
¼ cup water
2 tbsp tahini
2-3 garlic cloves, using garlic press
Salt and pepper to taste
*** Read more: Try your hand at this delicious falafel recipe ***
*** Read more: Pakistani Ramadan kebab recipe - a must try dish ***
1. Place the chicken and water in a large stockpot on high heat, making sure that there is enough water to just cover the chicken. Add the cardamom seeds, salt, pepper, cinnamon stick and bay leaves, and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer until the chicken is tender, for approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
3. When cool enough to handle, remove the skin and take the chicken meat off the bone.
4. Take 1 cup of the chicken broth, pass through sieve and simmer in a small saucepan over high heat until reduced by half. Set aside.
5. While the chicken is cooking, whisk the yoghurt with the water to loosen it up a little. Add the tahini, garlic, salt and pepper, and whisk well. Set aside.
6. Cut the Arabic bread into squares, and either sauté them in a pan with a little oil or toast them in the oven. Set aside.
7. Assemble the dish by layering a serving dish with a little of the yoghurt mixture, place the chicken on top, drizzle some reduced stock, add more yoghurt and top with the toasted bread, nuts and parsley.