Lemon Vanilla Bundt Cake
We’d love to pretend otherwise, but we’re big fans of cake, particularly the delicious offerings of New York favourite Magnolia Bakery. Which is why we were so delighted when the brand’s baking chief Bobbie Lloyd travelled to Dubai recently to show us how to whip up this beauty. Fresh, light and full of flavour, it’s the perfect treat for afternoon tea with the girls...
340g butter, room temperature
Three cups granulated sugar
Five eggs, large
¾ cup soda water
Three cups all purpose flour
2tbsp pure vanilla extract
1tbsp lemon zest
1. To begin, set your oven to preheat at 300 degrees F.
2. Use butter to grease a 10 inch bundt cake tin and then flour the insides to prevent your mix from sticking.
3. Fit the paddle attachment to your electric mixer and cream the butter and sugar together on a medium speed for around five minutes, until the mixture is light in colour and fluffy in texture. Be sure to scrape around the bottom and sides of the bowl to ensure all the butter and sugar has been incorporated.
4. Add the eggs to the butter and sugar one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
5. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add a third of the flour, then a third of the soda water.
6. Continue to alternate the two ingredients until both the flour and the water are fully incorporated into the cake batter. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl once more to ensure all the ingredients have been incorporated, at the same time taking care not to over mix the batter.
7. Remove the bowl from the mixer and add the vanilla and lemon zest, folding through to combine fully.
8. Tip the batter into the greased bundt tin, smooth off the top and place in the preheated oven to bake for 60-70 minutes, until a cake tester or skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool before tipping out carefully onto a plate or cake stand. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy!