Top Five Things to Do in the UAE This Week
See UB40 at The Big Grill, sing along with The Coronas and visit the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature
1. See UB40 at The Big Grill! Thu 27-Fri 28 Feb; British reggae band UB40 will perform at this food festival, which will be a carnivore’s dream! There’ll be unlimited grilled cuisines from around the world on offer, from authentic Indian kebabs to Lebanese shawarmas. The event is part of the wider Dubai Food Festival. Also on the bill are Nineties band No Mercy and Jamaican singer Diana King. INFO: Dhs295 (Thu), Dhs300 (Fri), Dhs495 (weekend pass), 1pm-11pm (Thu), 4pm-11pm (Fri), Emirates Golf Club, Dubai, 052 990 0112, www.facebook.com/SundanceLIVE
© ITP Images
2. Sing along with The Coronas; Thu 27 Feb; The hit Irish band return to the UAE after a series of epic gigs last year. Look out for hunky lead singer Danny O’Reilly! INFO: Dhs150, doors open at 7pm for 9pm show, Almas Tower, JLT, Dubai,
3. Visit the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature Tue 4-Sat 8 March; The top writers to see at the annual bookworms’ fave event!
● Joanne Harris: The author of Chocolat, later turned into a Johnny Depp film, will be involved in talks including Writers Meet Readers. INFO: INFO: Dhs65, 6pm, 6 Mar.
● Jeremy Paxman: Paxo’s renowned for grilling his subjects and the British journalist will reveal the secrets of his legendary interview style. INFO: Dhs65, 1pm, 7 Mar
● Jojo Moyes: Chick-lit fans should check out this talk by the Me Before You author, about her new novel, The One Plus One. INFO: Dhs65, 4pm, 7 Mar
●Darcey Bussell: The ballerina and reality show judge will talk about her book, A Life in Dance. INFO: Dhs65, 5pm, 7 Mar
● Richard and Judy: One of a number of sessions featuring the British TV hosts, this event will explore how their book club’s phenomenal success. INFO: Dhs65, 10am, 8 Mar. All events at Dubai Festival City, 04 353 4002, www.emirateslitfest.com
© Mark Readman/WENN.com
4. Cheer on the Football Legends Fri 28 Feb; Football’s oldest international rivals will to return to Dubai when England ex-internationals take on some of Scotland’s favourites for the third year running! Is your fave player jetting in? INFO: Free, 3pm, Jebel Ali Centre of Excellence, Jebel Ali, Dubai, www.jaihotels.com
5. Check out Superheroes Thu 27 Feb; After a successful launch at the end of 2013, house, garage and bass music night Superheroes relocates to The Dek on 8 at Dubai's Media One Hotel. The first event kicks off with residents and local DJs Under the Moon, Kasparov and Somalie. It'll run on the last Thursday of every month. INFO: Free, 6pm-3am, The Dek on 8, Media One Hotel, Dubai Media City, www.facebook.com/superheroesdubai